Engagement Session Tips
Back in the day, an engagement photo was used in the newspaper to announce an engagement. Obviously that doesn’t really happen anymore. Still, there are a lot of reasons to get engagement photos taken.
- Save-the-Date & Invitations – This is obvious, but it really is nice to have a pro shot of you on the collateral.
- Photos at reception – Many couples get engagement photos printed and framed and put them around the reception. It’s a nice touch.
- Facebook – Sometimes it’s just nice to have shots taken by a pro with a $2000 camera. They really stand out.
- Chance to get to know each other – For selfish reasons this is one of my favorite reasons for engagement pictures. You get used to me following you around with a giant camera. That way on your wedding day it’s like having your friend show up.
Tips for Successful Engagement Pictures
- Be yourself! – This is important. The point of engagement photos is to show off your personality and love for each other. The pictures really can tell if you are comfortable or not. Don’t worry if you aren’t used to photos being taken of you. It’s partially my job to help make you comfortable. Just relax and have fun!
- Clothing – Obviously your clothing is one way of being yourself. Also, dress appropriately for the location. Don’t forget accessories. Wear necklaces, boots, bracelets, your hair up. Try to avoid plaids and logos. They can be distracting.
- Location – If you have a place that is meaningful to you then let’s shoot there! If not, this often falls on me to find an interesting place for photos.
- Weather and time – I wouldn’t necessarily consider sun to be the best. Cloudy is actually better than sun. But the first and last hour of the day when the sun is low is golden. Literally. It’s called the golden hour. Also, I’m pretty daring. I love fog, rain, snow, even night time.
- Bring props – Props add interest and give you a chance to let people into your personal life. You could bring: flowers, ice cream cone, and your dog. I’m open to anything you can think of!
- Be daring – Lastly, Don’t be afraid to try something new or different. Those are the shots that go viral.
I’m really looking forward to shooting an engagement session with you! If you haven’t booked with us, please hit us up and we can take care of you.